Monday, March 19, 2012

Trashion Show

    Today was my school's second annual Trashion Show. Our theatre department makes clothes out of trash (newspaper, plastic bags, duct tape, foil, etc.) and then holds a fashion show after school to showcase our work.
     This year's theme was works of art and we had to base our outfit on whatever work of art we happened to choose out of a hat.
     My group had gotten Girl With A Pearl Earring by Vermeer and it didn't (in my opinion at least) turn out so bad.
     In fifth period however my teacher asked me to model for another group because their model couldn't make the show and the dress didn't fit anyone else. I agreed not knowing what the dress looked like or who designed it. So that afternoon as all the models were getting ready I finally saw it. The outfit was fairly simple, it was painted newspaper with glitter and a map covering a slit on the side. It also had a black (and kind of ugly) belt holding it together accompanied with a foil headband with an over sized bow.
     As all the models lined up they talked about how nervous they were. "Seriously?!" I thought, "I've done way stupider stuff than this onstage." But I let them be nervous and I ended up being dead last to go down the catwalk. All of the other models let their nerves show. They walked quickly up and down the catwalk without looking up or even smiling!
     Not me! I got halfway down the catwalk and the music suddenly changed. It was now this funky and quirky tune. So I did what felt logical at the time. The Charleston. From that point on I half danced, half strutted down the catwalk. In front of the judges I posed revealing the map acting as a slit up to my knee.
     After the show the designers and the model are supposed to go up to the judges for critique and when I was called I walked alone. The designers hadn't shown up. They didn't have faith in the dress!!! Even after I did the Charleston!?!? So I explained how I didn't know anything about this dress and the judges understood.
     As I waited with the other models onstage to see who had won I made conversation and caught up with friends. I meant to lean to my right but suddenly I was falling face first.
I.
Fell.
Off.
Of.
The.
Stage.
     In front of parents, teachers, friends, and complete strangers I fell off the stage. First there were gasps and concerned looks. Then, as soon as they knew I was okay, the audience broke out into laughter. I don't blame them. I laughed too.
     Cutting off their laughter my teacher called everyone to attention. She was announcing the five winning outfits. The first one she called was Map by Johns. We all clapped but no one went up to claim their prize. We all looked around but no one went onstage. Then I noticed the judges pointing at me. Me! I had gotten one of the top five! I hadn't even thought to ask what piece of art my outfit represented but it won! According to some people, it was too simple to win and the judges just gave it to me because of how I went down the catwalk.

     I don't care! I had fun. I was unprepared, I danced my way to the top with a dress I had nothing to do with. But I did it while doing the Charleston.

No comments:

Post a Comment