Sunday, March 25, 2012

Growing Up South Texas

driving downtown during spring break
     I was born in San Antonio, Texas because my father was in the army and he got stationed there. I was even born on an air force base. But when I turned three my mother and I moved two hours south to Corpus Christi. Both of my parents were originally from here so they thought it was best.
     So I have lived here most of my life. When most people who don't live here think of Corpus Christi they think of summer. We are a city right on the beach and a tourist hot spot. During spring break, it is a fact that more people come vacation here than live in Rhode Island. So we have lots of surfers, beach goes and most people are perfectly tanned.
     We are also in south Texas so we have a large Hispanic population. I am of Mexican descent and my family speaks Spanish, cooks traditional dishes, some even take ballet folklorico lessons.
     Of course being in Texas. we also have those stereotypical western cowboys. They wear jeans, boots, cowboy hats and go to rodeos. Now, I'm not going to lie. I do have multiple pairs of Wranglers, I own Justin's, have worn a Stetson or two and yes have been to a rodeo. My own cousins were competing in those rodeos in fact. To be honest my favorite genre of music is country.
   Then of course we have the typical mainstream American stuff. Your average Joe's.
     Corpus Christi has some cool things about it like:
  • declared the nations "birdiest city" for nine consecutive years, I guess we have a lot of birds 
  • has the fifth largest port
  • hosts the U.S. Open Windsurfing and Kiteboarding Regatta
  • home to late Tejano singing star and legend, Selena
  • Actress Farrah Fawcett was born in Corpus Christi and graduated from W.B. Ray High School
  • The average high temperature in July and August is 93 degrees (it's Texas after all..)
     So as you can see where I live is a really fun and unique place to live. I'm glad I get to grow up where I am. Sure there are some bad sides like:
  • being dubbed the fattest city in the nation
  • we barely get any rain
  • it's snows only 5 inches every 20 years
  • it is windy every single day so good luck having nice hair
  • some sides are so ghetto I refuse to even attempt to describe it because there is enough for a whole other post
     But these these things I deal with have taught me something or another. Growing up South Texas is a nice life.

No comments:

Post a Comment