Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Musical Adventures of Flat Stnaley pt. 1

Adri (left) and Rebecca (right) backstage at boot camp
     At my local theater we are doing The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley. The play, Flat Stanley is based on the book by Jeff Brown and Stanley Lambchop thinks his life is too boring. So one night Stanley wishes on a falling star and the next morning wakes up completely two dimensional. So Stanley gets mailed all over the world and has fantastic adventures. I play Mona Lisa and Stanley meets me in Paris and saves me from the Sneak Thief.
Saturday was Flat Stanley Boot Camp which lasted for almost eight hours. It involved dancing, running scenes, getting fitted for costumes, pizza and lots of laughs.
     Our morning consisted mostly of dancing and we ran the actual show a couple times. At around one we took a pizza break and when looking for a place to sit and eat in the lobby I saw my friend Adri siting in silence with our stage manager, Belle. Now, I only knew of Belle because she is so good at what she does and is awfully intimidating when she comes backstage to check on us. It's like some of these kids have no off switch but she comes over and they practically shut down. So I figured that she and Adri (who is a wild loose cannon and doesn't care what anyone thinks) might make lunch....entertaining.
     So as I sat down I noticed that there was absolutely no conversation. I looked at Adri, who I have known for a while and she said nothing. I looked at Belle but the silence didn't seem to bother her. So it was all up to little ol' me to strike up conversation.
     "What's it like being a stage manager, Belle?" I asked. Suddenly it was hard to believe that just a few minutes ago this girl was being quiet. Belle told us funny stories about all eleven shows she has teched for. She has the ability to listen in on your mic even when it's "off" ( WE DIDN'T KNOW  THIS!!!) and she has caught people singing, talking to themselves, flushing the toilet and even play "Never Have I Ever". Belle said one guy playing that game had licked the stage floor. Ummm what? This girl who was always serious, reserved, and quiet actually had a great sense of humor.
     Once the conversation came to a lull I could tell Belle had warmed up to us because she asked us "Are you guys excited for Tech Week?". For all you non thespians; Tech Week is the week before a show opens and it is when you either really shine or seriously fail. It's when the director is at his wits end and if you piss him off he will kick you out and recast in a second. Adri and I were both very excited and nervous, so we asked Belle what she thought.
     This is when I really got surprised. Belle said "Yeah I can't wait to yell at the actors." We both looked at her as if she had just said she lived on the moon and her hair was purple. Belle explained that Tech Week is when her stage manager abilities really kick in. The director cannot be backstage taking care of drama between actors, missing props, or anything that doesn't directly affect the show. That's Belle's job. So she asked us if any conflict between actors was going on. Of course Adri and I both just shook our heads.
     After lunch, costume fittings and some more run throughs, I was backstage waiting for my cue with Rebecca. That day people were working in the shop on set pieces for Flat Stanley. Rebecca and I both spotted this cute guy working on a set piece. As we were being fangirls our friend Brant came and asked what was up. We pointed out the boy and Brant said "You know he's probably here doing community service, right? Because he committed a crime..." Of course we ignored him.
     We went to go talk to to Shop-Guy, got his real name (that I won't put on here) and asked him if he was going to tech for Flat Stanley. His exact response was:
     "Actually I'm just here for community service."
     Rebecca and I froze.
     "Well, what happened?" I asked after a beat.
     "Oh you know. One thing lead to another..."
     After that incredibly vague response, Rebecca and I practically ran screaming back to Brant. Brant said that obviously Shop-Guy was a rapist. Rebecca concluded that maybe, just maybe, she has a thing for bad boys.




Brant and I continued to slap her.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment