Thursday, March 8, 2012

One Act Festival 2012 pt. 2

     The morning of the festival our bus got to our school about an hour late. You know what that means? We missed Grant perform. You know what that means? I missed Drake (see earlier post) perform. As soon as I got there however, I found all of my theatre friends from other schools. Over the past few years being involved in theatre competitions, showcases, and festivals will make you quite popular. I got to see a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. Her name is Alyssa and she goes to Cullen. She is incredibly pretty and talented. She absolutely killed it onstage at this festival too. I saw Cris, who goes to Grant but is a good friend of mine from the playhouse. I missed his performance but I bet he killed it too.
    So on the way to the Harbor Playhouse I promised myself that I would do my best to ignore Drake. The last thing I needed was to fall for him again. But that was easier said than done. When I got there he texted me "Where are you?" and of course I spotted him but hid away. I could see him but he couldn't see me. For the first half of the day I went out of my way to stay hidden but he kept looking for me. He sat in the second row and without thinking I crossed the first row to get back to the Baker section. I didn't see him until he jumped over the first row of seats and snatched my arm.
     "Hey, you aren't going to say hi to me?"That was the first time I actually had a good look at him. I immediately remembered why I fell for him in the first place. Wow, he was extraordinary. He wasn't a cookie-cutter, good looking boy. He had imperfections; some of my friends didn't think he is good looking at all. But to me those imperfections make him irresistible. He is just so adorable.
     "Are you not going to hug me either?" he asked with his arms open. Of course my earlier promise evaporated into thin air and I hugged him. Damn, he even smelled good. After a little small talk he came to meet the rest of my cast. Some of them had already met him but some had only heard of him and his reputation.
     "This is the guy we have to kill?" muttered one of the younger kids.
     True, it was really hard having to say goodbye to Drake but I knew I had to. I can't be his friend, it's just not possible for me. So he went to go sit with the rest of the cudas and they swarmed him; asking who I was. I wonder what he told them? The truth or "just a friend"?
    The schools are supposed to stay in the auditorium and watch the other schools perform but Baker is a special school. We are more awesome than them. We (our teacher included) went to the watergardens and just had a party. We ran around, took pictures and played in the water. Holden, he plays Neptune in our play, decided to Tebow for a picture in the middle of the water but soon faceplanted. So the guy that plays the god of the sea had to walk around dripping wet. Fail!
     Once we actually went back to the playhouse Cris and Alyssa ended up ditching their schools and hanging out with me and the rest of my Baker cast. That says something about us and how well we get along. Each one act cast is a new and very different generation of talented kids. Last year we made lasting friendships and this year I believe we have too. All we could hope to do is pass on our theatre spirit, Red Tide. Red Tide has a mascot unlike any other. Our mascot is a rubber fish named Aids Diabetes Hopkins. We take it everywhere with us because it is our good luck charm. It's a good luck charm because it can calm anyone down right before a performance. How does it calm you down? Well, when you hold it; you have Aids. Hehe.
     So after the festival a couple of friends (I won't name names) told me just to take Aids with me for good. I just couldn't though. I know next year when those kids are competing they are going to need Aids and Aids needs to be there for them. I know for a fact now that the next generation will carry on Red Tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment